Recorded: 12th of June 2016
Duration: 1 hour 26 minutes 52 seconds
In this episode we hear the recording of the New Zealand Bomber Command Commemorative Service held in the Hall of Memories of the Auckland War Memorial Museum. This annual event remembers the thousands of New Zealanders who served with Bomber Command in the Royal Air Force during the Second World War.
The Master of Ceremonies who introduces all the speakers is Squadron Leader Jonathan Pote (Rtd), seen above.
The speakers, in order of appearance, are:
• Group Captain Tim Walshe – Base Commander of RNZAF Base Auckland
• S/Ldr Stuart Hight speaks again
• Pat Johnson – President of the Auckland Branch of the New Zealand Returned and Services Association, reading The Ode To The Fallen
• Sir Richard Taylor via video – Weta Workshops Director (apologies the audio is not better)
• Able Musician Rebecca Nelson, Royal New Zealand Navy – leading the National Anthem of New Zealand
• The New Zealand Bomber Command Association
Note: A small amount of editing has been made to the recording to enhance your listening pleasure.
The tune heard is Benedictus, by Karl Jenkins, and the Lancaster sounds and poem “Lie In The Dark And Listen” come from the CD release “A Tribute To Bomber Command” by Joe Williams, Rear Gunner